Monday, March 14, 2016

My Birthday; One Sick Fiance, Two broken Down Cars, Three Shattered Phones and a Fabulous French Manicure

 Well, my birthday this year was unusual to say the least.

This year when I woke up from my slumber on the morning of my birthday, I received a text from my fiance, Dustin that he is horribly sick and we are going to have to post-pone my birthday plans. I will admit I was a little upset, but I had to be compassionate of his illness. My mother came to the rescue and took me to get my nails and toes done, and that was very relaxing! Next we went to lunch at the Wooden Nickel in Watsonville, with my best friend, Kelly. We proceeded to just do a few errands we were needing to do and came home.

When we arrived home I was feeling pretty tired for I did not get any sleep the night prior. Somehow Kelly talked me into going out with a few friends, and we had no idea we would be in for such misfortune.

Ever since I left my high school for independent study, I feel I have left the high school world and jumped into the adult world. ( I am getting married in July for goodness sake) But on my birthday I got of taste of teenage life again and I think it may be my last taste, but at least I ended with a bang.

With completely good intention, we took two separate cars to Sonic in Salinas. There were seven of us, three in one car and four in another. I was blessed to be in the car that decided to die at a stoplight, in Salinas at about 11 pm. We call the driver of the other car, which was Kelly and tell her to come back for us. We put the car in neutral and pushed the car to the side of the road. Kelly had jumper cables and began to attempt to restart the car but after many minutes of this we decided it is all down hill from here, literally. We put the car in neutral and took it to the closest parking lot, the IHOP parking lot. Some of us had to walk to the IHOP from here, which I will admit was scary because Salinas is not the safest city. I knew how to keep safe, we had to stay in a group, look strong, cool, calm and collected, we also had to look like we had a destination. I told the girls this, and they agreed, besides one, the youngest. She proceeded to go running and screaming to IHOP and we just let her go. We made it to IHOP and in an emergency situation had to pack into one car. We made it back but missed the turn to the road we were supposed to go down. We began to make a U-turn that we make quite frequently without using the three point turn method. But the three point turn method should have been used this time. Due to one side of the car being completely over packed we flipped our car into a ditch. Yes, a ditch with water running down. As the rain poured down on us we feared someone would stop who was not a nice character. After about a half an hour, we were rescued, pulled out and no damage was done to the car. We went back, to drop the girls off at their house. Kelly's phone was missing, we searched her car inside and out and still could not find it. Whilst searching for Kelly's phone, two girls dropped their phones and shattered them. After searching we gave up and left for our houses, only to find Kelly's phone on the side of the road also shattered and wet. Yes, Happy birthday to me, one sick fiance, two broken down cars, three shattered phones and a fabulous french manicure.

Arriving home at 1:30 in the morning, I knew daylight savings was starting and I had to teach the Primary children at church the next day. I slept and somehow awoke alive and well. Primary went smoothly although my voice was lost and my body was tired. The same night we had a birthday dinner for me, it was my nephew River's actual birthday because he was born a day after me. His party will be the following week, but he still helped me blow out the candles.
So maybe my 17th was not exactly what I imagined. I mean I never imagined having my last teenage "hooray" on my seventeenth birthday. I never expected to meet the love of my life and desire to get married before my seventeenth birthday either. I do not regret any of my decisions to grow up fast, graduate early and get married. I am happy as I could ever be. Now I sit on a Monday evening, sick as a dog (Dustin did it) , thinking of how lucky I am to have the life and family that I do. I cannot imagine my life any different than it is right now. I am so happy and thank Heavenly Father for another amazing year. I love my friends and family and I am thankful that all our bad luck the night of my birthday did not get us hurt. Happy birthday to me! 
And River of course.


3 comments:

  1. Scary place to get stuck... I hope you and your fiance get well soon!

    Btw...congratulations!

    Giuseppe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, some day it will be funnier, I promise. I had lots of misadventures back when (as Sam says) we were still young and interesting, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, some day it will be funnier, I promise. I had lots of misadventures back when (as Sam says) we were still young and interesting, lol.

    ReplyDelete